Review time! And for the comics that came out this week, a lot of them are series I never actually followed before. Had to do that some time, but these comics should be good jumping on points so that I won't be immediately lost. Not to mention I will probably have a lot of bias if I only review series I am currently following.
1. Black Cat #13 (Marvel)
Written by G. Willow Wilson
Drawn by Andres Genolet
And I am immediately hit with Felicia and Frank staring down a giant eyeball monster. I usually prefer to try avoid any and all spoilers, maybe even going too far on the vagueness, but it is hard to not talk about that especially since I haven't read the previous issues. But fortunately Black Cat and the Punisher seemed just as confused and surprised as I am, so I don't feel too much left out of the loop. Their reactions also suggest that context will not help, the last issue probably ended with this thing interrupting whatever they were doing in a very abrupt manner.
All in all, this was mostly focus on the two teaming up against the monster. Mostly action and fighting with the last pages explaining what was that thing anyway (With the cameo appearance of a lesser known Marvel character that I wasn't even sure if they were still around because of how long it has been since I last saw them) and then Black Cat and Punisher settling their beef from the previous issue. The art being pretty good, I like the style of it.
Overall, a nice quick fun team up before Black Cat goes into crossover mode with the Queen in Black event next month. It doesn't have me wanting to check out what came before or after, but to be fair this is clearly not meant to be tied into any larger storylines. I give this 7 giant void rats out of 10.
2. Flash #36 (DC)
Written by Ryan North
Drawn by Gavin Guidry
Okay I assumed this was a standalone issue because of the solicitations, but this is apparently part six of an arc. Which had me nervous immediately especially since there was no recap page. But... it turns out this story actually is pretty standalone. It seems the arc is all about Wally trying out new powers allowing him to save people before they are even in danger.
It is a pleasant ride focusing on Wally trying to pitch his idea to other heroes while showing him teaming up with Superman. The Jon Kent version since this takes place before the Reign of Superboys storylines and thus before we saw Clark's return in the main Superman books. And of course we see people questioning Wally's new approach with a cliffhanger showing... well obviously can't say without spoilers but there is consequences to Wally trying to solve everything by himself and before they become problems.
Side note: Apparently the current Batman: Bad Seeds every take place at this point of time yet Reing of Superboys haven't happened yet either. Are the Superman books taking place in the future? Also art is good, I like it but having nothing else to add.
I'll give Flash 8 Lex sipping coffees out of 10, it does have me wondering what happened in the past five issues and wanting to see what happens next.
3. Void Rivals #33 (Image)
Written by Robert Kirkman
Drawn by Conor Hughes
ROOOMMMM!!! Is that a spoiler? I don't think it is, he is on the cover and the solicitations outside of the Image website reveals his name. Plus he appears at the end of the last issue. Sorry, I like Rom the Space Knight. He's cool and I hope he gets his own solo series now he is part of the Energon Universe.
And this was a fun issue, mostly Rom focused with a bit of attention given to the main cast and one of the supporting characters. The plot hasn't progressed much as it is mostly focused on introducing Rom and his pal Carpet into the group. But it is still an entertaining read and the art is great as always. I love this book's take on Rom who is clearly a bit out of it due to his endless war with his classic enemies the Dire Wraiths.
I give this 8 Weird Aliens Growths out of 10, it is still exciting even if not much story is happening right now. But I am sure this will change next issue, we should only be at the midway point of the arc.
4. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Saturday Morning Adventures #40 (IDW)
Written by Erik Burnham
Drawn by Dan Schoening
If you are looking for some classic 1980s cartoon TMNT action, this is the book for you. It mimics the art style of that series pretty well and it has that silly Saturday Morning cartoon vibe as to be expected. But while the story is pretty one and done, it has a beginning and ending that indicates more going on. It is a fun slightly dumb but still great ride. Along with a fourth wall break that really got me, the biggest laugh I had the entire issue. I wouldn't mind more honestly.
...
What do you mean next issue is the series finale?!
8 purple Metalheads out of 10. I wasn't sure I would it enjoy so much, but the ending section really made me smile.
5. Vampirella #5 (Dynamite)
Written by Christopher Priest
Drawn by Davis Gotten
Full disclosure. I have never read a Vampirella book before. Even though apparently we nearly had 700 issues of them before? I know of the character, I read issues where she crossed over with others before. But I don't know much else about her. But hey, the writer is Christopher Priest and he does great work, so who knows maybe this will be a great introduction?
No not really, I felt confused on who everyone is. This book clearly assumes you read the first arc and have a basic understanding of who everyone is. Also side note, I forgot that Vanpirella is actually an alien. It is a bit of a plot point with this arc. Which doesn't actually establish what the plot of this arc is? It seems the ending is hinting towards why this is considered the first part of a story arc.
But... I didn't hate it. While it doesn't spell out what is happening, there is enough context clues that helps it from going completely off the rails. And editorial notes help make it clear what is meant to be established stuff and where to find the larger context. Vampirella also has a far different outfit than what she normally wears which is funny since that outfit is front and center of the covers.
While this is not first reader friendly and I would recommend looking up a guide to other Vampirella books. I am pretty sure those that are following would like this book and be interested in the next step in the ongoing story. I am definitely intrigued enough wanting to go back and check what I have been missing out.
I give Vampirella 7.5 sunglasses wearing Draculas out of 10. Christopher Priest is a great writer and it seems like this is all just set up for the overarching arc anyway.
No comments:
Post a Comment