As promised, here are my recommended comics to check out tomorrow on the 12th. One from Marvel, DC, Image, IDW, and a bonus publisher.
1. Marvel: Miles Morales: Spider-Man #1
I am a bit behind on Marvel at the moment, the most I was following was the new Ultimate Universe and that ended a few months ago, but what better time to jump back in than with a new number one? This seems to be a bit of a back to basics approach with an enemy from not Miles' past but his dad's returning to bring trouble to the entire family. Miles is a great guy and I enjoyed the works of Bryan Hill who is the writer for the comic. So all this plus again it is meant to be a jumping on point is why I am recommending this out of all the many Marvel titles coming out this week.
2. DC: Batman and Robin: Year One - Dynamic Duos #1
God, it is so tempting to recommend Absolute Batman #23. It is such a great series, and I do recommend collecting and reading from the start. But it doesn't feel right to recommend something that is near the end of an arc when I am just coming back from a decade plus long absence. So I am going for the series I am looking forward to the second most amount from DC and that is Batman and Robin Year One. It is very much a sequel to a 12 issue miniseries simply titled Batman and Robin: Year One. But I feel confident you don't need to knows the ins and out of that series to pick this up. I still recommend checking it out, but you should still be able to jump into this just fine. It is about the Dynamic Duo perfecting their partnership when they run into a gang of street kids and having to deal with a problem that is more than just superhero affair. Though since should be 12 issues, it probably won't stay so simple for long.
3. Image: Transformers #35
I am gonna be honest, it was hard to recommend a series from Imagae because a lot of the titles coming out that I liked are ones that are either nearing the end of an arc (Witchbladae) or are just starting but is part of a miniseries (Exquisite Corpses: Rascal Randy) so that would definitely be best to start at the beginning instead. But if I had to pick a series that I think is the absolute best of them all... it would have to be Transformers. The Energon Universe incarnation of the series (It is tied into G.I. Joe and original series Void Rivals) is probably the best I have ever seen of the franchise. Showing the horrors of war without being too cynical. It also has my favorite depiction of Optimus I have ever seen showing all his strengths while keeping his humanity and kindness. This is technically nearing the end of an arc, I am pretty sure #36 is where the next volume will end on though don't quote me on that, but it seems like we might get a standalone issue focusing on one of the lesser known Autobots. Just uh... be warned. A lot has changed since the first issue. But the writing is so great (We recently got a writer change, but it is by Robert Kirkman who did Walking Dead and Invincible so the quality is still high) and the art is fantastic that I am sure you will be entertained anyway.
4. IDW: The Twilight Zone #10
Okay, full disclosure. This entire series has been hit or miss so far with several misses. It is an anthology series, so that is a given. But at the same time since it is an anthology series that also means you don't need to have read any of the prior issues to check this out. Plus, this issue is written by Charles Soule and that guy is an amazing writer, love his works. What is this about? A couple of college students enter the basement of their fraternity only to find themselves in a Cold War era bunker... and the Twilight Zone.
5. Bonus: Power Rangers Unlimited #2 (Boom Studios)
Picking a bonus publisher was tough because there were a few good ones this week that were also in the middle of their arcs. But I am going with Power Rangers Unlimited. It follows Trini the original Yellow Ranger as she teams up with Power Rangers across every era to stop an ongoing threat to the entire Mutliverse. It seems to be a bit of a sequel to Power Rangers: Once and Always though it is also possible it takes place before that. Either way, this is an adult Trini trying to end a threat to all of reality including the return of Zedd all while teaming up with every Ranger possible. I enjoyed the first issue and am looking forward to this one.
.jpg)




No comments:
Post a Comment