Search This Blog

Thursday, September 3, 2026

REVIEW DAY 09/02/26

Review time! For comics coming out September 2nd 2026! As mentioned in Recommended, there isn't really any IDW comics out this week. So I am doing two bonus publishers instead.


1. Black Panther/Namor: Doomed #1

Written by Ethan S. Parker & Griffin Sheridan

Drawn by Stefano Desi

Black Panther and Namor are doomed.

A lot of this is just set up for the main plot. With a lot of establishing of the current status quo and as someone who has fallen behind on Black Panther and Namor from the past five years, it is welcomed. And it is interesting set up seeing how while T'Challa is trying to return to the status quo, there is still consequences for everything that happened in the 2021 run. Plus Namor still caring for his people even though apparently isn't a king anymore. Then the denizens of Hell attacking forcing these classic rivals to team up. And while I am sure it is explained in One Nation Under Doom and Avengers: Armageddon, I am curious to learn what is Doom's connection here.

In the end I give 7.5 cool light absorbing capes out of 10 since it is just set up but still pretty good set up.


2. Supergirl: Survive #4 (DC)

Written by Ethan S. Parker & Griffin Sheridan

Drawn by Rod Res

I swear, I didn't know the writers for Black Panther/Namor and this book are the same. That is just a coincidence. Either way, the story of Kara Zor-El and Kal-El journey to a safe place continues! For those who don't know what this book is, it is an Elseworld (Think Marvel's What-If) story of Kara managing to get into the rocket with baby Kal-El and protecting him as the final survivors of Krypton.

This continues the cliffhanger of last issue where they finally get a nice break and explore their new world. Though obviously things don't always last as everything has its problems. But a new ally could prove to be the saving grace they need. Though their plan to get Kara and Kal to safety is... a bit insane. But lets of nice character moments and explorations of what this duo can finally do. I am also curious about the backstory of this new ally who definitely has a different story from his mainline counterpart.

I give this 8 storm of the galaxy out of 10. It is nice for these two to have their break even if it is only a small one after all the horrible stuff they went through in the past three issues.


3. Rogue Sun #35 (Image)

Written by Ryan Parrott & Nick Cotton

Drawn by Abel

End of story arc.

For those who never heard about this before, Rogue Sun is a superhero who can transform using a magical stone known as the Sun Stone. Becoming a flying armored superhero with fire based capabilities. And the main hero is the son of the previous Rogue Sun... who also abandoned said son when he was a kid. Our MC never hearing from his dad until he was granted the Sun Stone to become the new Rogue Sun.

This arc's conclusion was delayed by quite a few months and I kinda forgot the exact details of what happened before. But it is a devastating conclusion with a side character getting a big revelation and the main character, Dylan, suffering the worst possible loss. Leading him to making a deal with someone that is almost as bad as the devil. Fun fact, the overall big bad of this book is someone that inspired the very myth of the devil. 

This issue is mainly all focused on Dylan and the others are here mainly to help. But the set up and conclusion to this story arc is very well done and sets up for the next big arc in one fell swoop. I give this 8 Sun Stones out of 10, Rogue Sun still manages to stay fresh and interesting even 35 issues in.


4. Ben 10 #5 (Dynamite)

Story developed by Man of Action
Written by Steven T. Seagle

Drawn by Robert Carey

The Ben 10 reboot concludes another story arc. I got to say, I am not a big fan of the art. The perspectives for Ben and Gwen always looked weird making them seem abnormal. I think the artist just struggles with kids though because I don't see this problem with the adults.  And the aliens designs are great especially since we got another classic alien in here. But yeah, Ben and Gwen look off at times and they are the main focus of this issue.

As for the plot, it feels standard. Zombozo doesn't get to show off his abilities he had in the original cartoon. If he even has them, a lot of his focus is ordering his clown minions who do keep their weird powers. And the hypnotizing machine which set up the main conflict. But still a nice lesson about not relying on overwhelming strength to win the day.

I give Ben 10 seven Grey Matters out of ten. I think the show's version of the Zombozo plot was done way better and I loved Ghostfreak in that episode. But this is still decent.



5. No Gods, No Masters #1 (BOOM! Studios)

Written by Julio Anta

Drawn by Jacoby Salcedo

What is this? Never heard of this before, I just chose it at random. But apparently it is about the end of the world thanks to Kaijus and three teenagers must do what they can to survive them.

Okay it doesn't seem to be the actual end, just localized to one area. But the small scope doesn't change how dangerous and post-apocalyptic the landscape looks. We only get major focus one of the three teens, but it is enough to show his deal and why we should care. And despite the more cartoony art style, the series is brutal. Showing kaiju deaths and human deaths without shying away from the violence. It is great and brilliant and this is probably my favorite book this week.

Though what does the phrase No Gods, No Masters even mean anyway?

I give this 8.5 flying window shards out of 10, I really need to expand what titles I read because I am clearly missing out on gems like this if not for this blog site.

No comments:

Post a Comment